Thursday, May 29, 2008

Last minute projects from the Plastic store


I saw this clock about 4 years ago on E-bay.It's a Mondrian style Sunbeam vintage clock. I like to call it the "the one that got away" ever since then, I've been wanting to buy one but since it 's a vintage piece, it's very rare that I find it on E-bay and now that MCM has gone main stream.. everyone and their Mama is willing to pay a couple of hundred bucks for something like this.. Not the Mod Diva- Me- well, I like to make my own and save some bucks- Here's what I did.
1) I found a black frame that had a bunch of sections for a picture montage from K-mart. The shape is a tiny bit different from the original but that's what makes it mine. You actually could make your own frame.. Looks pretty simple just section it out the way you want to, cut out some block sections with some Balsa wood and paint it black.. you get the picture-

2) I needed to find the correct colors for the blocks- Here's where the project came to a halt- Ideally, if you live near a plastic place that sells remnants you could get some pretty cheap pieces of plexi- I know you could do that in New York. The Canal Plastic company had a bunch of cheap plexi for like $5 for a 12X12 sheet. Here in LA, there's Gaverelli plastics- they have every color in the world but it comes in HUGE sheets ( even the remnants) so.. I was crap out of luck UNTIL... I went to Ikea and found the perfect color blue and red in a cutting board mat (DRALLA). What????? Yup, it was the perfect shade of blue and I could cut it with scissors. It also was the right thickness so it was'nt too thin that you could see through it. It was perfect. It also came in red and for about $2 each.. I was sold!

3) The white piece in the middle where the clock face is.. that one was just luck. The guy who made my bubble frame for me was lagging on my order.. he had a couple of white plexi remnants at his shop. Since he was late getting my order in, I managed to get the perfect piece of plexi for the clock face for Free99! That's my favorite part!

4) The clock mechanisms came from an old IKEA clock that I hacked into this project.


and there you have the Mod Diva Mondrian clock.. I think the project cost me about $15 and 4 years ( so worth the wait) Woo Hoo!

After I finally hung it up in the living room, I sat back on my couch and admired it. It was the missing piece on that sliver of a wall! Dig it!!

No comments: