Yes it's neutral but when you think of 1953 ( the year the house was built- you DON'T think Mexican tile) I have to say to her credit, the previous owner did take fantastic care of the house. When we bought it, it was newly renovated. She actually lived here for a while with her family. She didn't just flip the house, add a bunch of Home Depot crap to it and go off and sell it- You can tell that she really loved living here and took the time to pick out what she thought was" nice".
NICE to her.. Not so nice to us.
I've learned to live with the tile- I don't really obsess about it too much but what I couldn't stand was the random "basket o' plenty" fruit tiles on the back splash. our back splash is pretty standard- White tile. I guess to add "interest" she put these random tiles in. We have so many cool things on our counter , we really didn't mind the white tile as a backdrop to our colorful collection of kitchen stuff- Here's a pic of when she lived here and we did the walk through ( Notice the arrows and that hideous random tile I'm talking about) 
We had to come up with a solution to hide those ugly tiles.. so I came up with these.

I am a HUGE fan of SHAG and it was a perfect opportunity to infuse him into the home. I made these tiles by priming white tiles ( You need to do this so the oil based paint will stick to the tile) I bought a bunch of Shag decals. The cool thing about these decals is that they are clear so the color shows with through. I thought they turned out pretty good.
I was only limited to the stickers that had in those sizes. I have since learned that you can get the same effect with using something called water slide decal paper. If you use that.. you can pretty much do whatever design you want- even real photos since you print them right off from your home computer.
After the decal is on the tile, you have to make sure you put the clear sealant on the sucker or else it could possibly peel. I get them wet all the time and I clean my back splash with Mr. Clean and Fantastic- I haven't had a problem at all!
Here's what it looks like on the white back splash with all my colorful kitchen stuff-

6 comments:
Cute! Your banner looks great.
I love Shag too. Can't wait to see the tiles in place.
I love your Chiasso toaster! It's all I can do not to have a collection of mod toasters and bread bins, but I have so many obsessions and I'm trying to keep them under control. Digital collecting helps.
I also really love your Mr. Potato Head. I swear I'm really five years old.
Thanks for sharing!
That is a great idea!!!! The colors of the shag art is perfect!!! Goes with everything in your kitchen and your house!!!
Your new banner looks good also!
I dig shag. We framed a "picture" (card someone gave us) of his for our tikish living room.
May I please ask what is that orange appliance on your counter?
We are just finishing up renovating our kitchen, and all the appliances are orange (including vintage fridge and stove), and that "thing" is so cute!
Thanks!
Glynis
Hey Glynis-
Welcome to my blog! The orange appliance on my countertop is actually a toaster oven! A girlfriend of mine gave it to us as the perfect Christmas gift acouple of years ago. I believe she got it at Urban Outfitters. If you're into Orange appliances- You may want to check out the blog I had about JC Penney. They've got an all orange line!
Cheers!
Mod Diva
Thanks Mod Diva:
I did buy all the orange appliances from JC Penney (they are the same color as my fridge and stove) - and found an orange soy milk maker and Wolfgang Puck has an orange immersion blender...but your little toaster oven takes the cake! How cut is it, you lucky Diva!
Glynis
Yay, Shag!!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your cannisters. And the Mr. Potato Head.
You are a design diva.
Post a Comment