Wednesday, June 17, 2009

San Francisco.. We're in the process of making it pretty



Hello Mates,
Sorry I haven't updated in a LONG time but life has been crazy since I moved into the PAP house of San Francisco and have been trying my hardest to put the Mod Diva touch on it. Where to start? Well, we've been doing everything we could just to make this place liveable but the biggest overhaul so far has been the kitchen! We've been living here now for the past 5 months and have been eating every meal out and have not been able to make a home made meal, let alone go inside the kitchen! Let's recap... The last time you visited ( the blog that is) we had a major problem with a really OLD ,really outdated and really FILTHY kitchen. If you remember, this was my grandma's house ( before she passed in '04) and even when she was still with us, the house didn't have a good cleaning.. uh, in like... FOREVER. That being said, the kitchen floors were just sticky from all the years of frying Filipino food and all kinds of whatelse grossness that fell on the floor and was never cleaned up, the kitchen cabinets that were made of particle board were sticky, crumbling and had expanded from all that condensation, the walls were sticky from not having a working vent in the kitchen ( and not opening any windows when they cooked) let's just sum it up folks.. that kitchen was so DISGUSTING I wouldn't even let my dogs walk in there. I made everyone wear my orange garden Crocs in there because I refused any one to walk in that place without any "protection". All that being said.. On June 3,2009 we said goodbye to the nastiness and started our new kitchen. Here's how went down. First of all, let's show you the grossness we started with

Yeah.. can you smell that FUNK???? Let it be known that most of the cabinets were filled to the hilt with mismatched cups, plates and glasses and CRAP that hadn't been used in a couple of decades-

Did you notice all the hella old appliances? That stove was so covered in grease from 1987 that I'm not surprised that it didn't catch a grease fire from itself!

Another huge problem was that there weren't enough cabinets for your actual food- I mean there was this gross ass table that hadn't been cleaned off since the early 90's - and this gross rack with a bunch of JUNK in it!
So, with some research and some digging down deep into my pocket of knowledge, we looked and looked for the best deal in San Francisco for cabinets.
We started the actual demo on June 3 and they finished the demo, cabinet installation and countertop in 2 days!

Believe it or not, these cabinets are Maple and were actually CHEAPER than IKEA! We also decided to extend the cabinets all the way to the wall thus eliminating the table, awesome seatless and backless chairs,that lovely rack full of crap and gaining cabinet space for actual food. Our dining room table is located right outside the door.

The best part of this remodel is actully finding the "right" mix of flooring, countertop and backspash. This is what we chose for the backsplash. The tile is called Kosmos from an Italian line called Azuvi. When I found it at Colortile it was love at first sight. It comes in other color combos as well.


The quartz for the countertop is white and we got it the same place as the cabinets ( looks like Terazzo) and the flooring we got at Floorcraft as a remnant( industrial vinyl with white, black and grey specks)
We are still in the process of putting the finishing touches on- The kitchen should be done by Monday... (at the latest)- Just thought you'd enjoy a teaser of what the Mod Diva's been up to. Stay tuned.. Cheers!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

WOW! I love all of it. The cabinets are very nice looking. The backsplash is perfect!!!! I can't wait to see the finished result. I totally understand how you are living!! I hate living in a big "project". Can't wait to see the other rooms. :)

christine taylor said...

please, please show more!!!!!