Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I'm back in LA trick...decorating a toddler room



Wow, these past couple of months have been crazy- We've officially left San Francisco and the nastiness behind. We are back in our home in the valley in LA patiently waiting the arrival of baby #2 and getting settled in. Mod Toddler Ainslie, graduated from sleeping with us to her sleeping in her own bed in her own room. Funny, when it all happened, I lost a LOT of closet space to her so there was plenty of purging. For weeks, I heard the "Hoarders" soundtrack as I went from room to room in my house. I got rid a bunch of clothes, and STUFF- I thought I got rid of the extra "STUFF" when I moved out of the house and to SF but nope- I was on the boarder of Hoarder-ess:)
Decorating Ainslie's room was a lot of fun. We had to buy her a "big girl bed" and we couldn't resist getting her the entire matching set at IKEA complete with book case and hanging display case. Who'da thunk you could spend $500 plus on a twin bed at IKEA? We certainly didn't-

I'm a big fan of Paul Frank and Julius the Monkey so, I couldn't pass up getting her this cute bedding, all from Target- We also have the matching towels for Mommy and Daddy. I love me some Paul Frank!

When my parents moved out of the family home I grew up in , I had my Dad bring over some of my things I collected as a kid and when I was on tour. I had tons of dolls, and toys for the one day IF I had a daughter. Well, the one day is HERE and she is now enjoying the collections that I acquired. Among my fabulous collection is MUFFY Bear and her ridiculous amount of clothes, shoes and accessories. She's still a little young to enjoy it all but Muffy is displayed in her room.


One of my favorite purchases for the room was a dresser I got on Craigslist. I needed a dresser that wasn't too big and it needed to be tall. It had to blend into her room as well as fit in a tiny corner of the room. Just my luck I was person number 13 to call for the dresser. He wasn't gonna sell it to me but after I told him that I needed him to drop it off to my house, I was 7 months pregnant at the time, it was raining AND my husband just had knee surgery, he sold it to me for $35! the original price was only $10! but the crazy thing was when I got it to my house , I was pleasantly surprised that it was made with solid wood and it was in great shape. All we needed to do was hook it up with the right drawer pulls to make it work for her room. I mean, where do you get a solid wood dresser for $35 bucks? So awesome! I am so happy with that purchase!

The Hubby and I decided that one of our traditions will be making "Muny" dolls for Ainslie for every birthday. I think it's a cool way to commerate the birthday and when she's old enough to appreciate it, The dolls will be a cool collection of something We made for her. Here's a pic of Ainslie at 1 and Ainslie at 2 years old along with her very own action figures- All displayed above her bed.

Here's what Ainslie looked like at 2 this year's birthday celebration at Disneyland



Since Ainslie's bed faces the door. I thought it would be cool to get one of those wall decals to cover the white blank space she had going on the bottom part of the bookcase/ bed frame. I got this LOVE decal from Etsy. Etsy is pretty awesome if you're looking for something unique- It was the perfect addition for that blank space!



Now that I'm in my last weeks of pregnancy, it seems as if it's a mad dash to get stuff done. I'm still in the process of putting together new Baby's room and it feels as if every day I have more and more craft ideas that I'd like to do before he gets here. It's just a little more difficult now that I have a rambunctious and inquisitive 2 year old running around. The great thing is most of the things we put in the new baby's room we had in the storage. It was stuff that was from old apartments, that didn't quite work with the house at the time or was just the wrong color scheme. Now since we have a boy, all the miscellaneous things I had tucked away in my storage room became hidden "treasures". See, sometimes it pays to "Hoard".

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Looks Great!!! I love that IKEA bed frame and the shelf that matches it! I am glad you guys are back home now! Good luck with getting everything done before baby #2 comes! lol ;)